The vast majority of users will have Windows 10 installed as the main operating system on our PC. Although it is true that this system does not consume too many resources, it is not that it will go well in a Pentium IV. In this article we will teach you absolutely all the tricks that we have come up with to improve Windows 10 performance to the maximum with Windows 10.
Even if you have a more or less old computer, Windows 10 may run well on it. If for example you have Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 installed, you must take the step now to Windows since its consumption of resources is better optimized than these previous systems.
and this is your case or you simply want to optimize its performance as much as possible in this article we will try to teach you all the options that you can touch to improve Windows 10 performance. Also Check- How to Schedule Sending Whatsapp Messages on Android
- 1 Improve boot
- 1.1 Delete programs at system startup
- 1.2 Activate Windows 10 Quick Start
- 1.3 When should we disable this option?
- 1.4 Optimize storage and hard drives
- 1.5 Free disk space
- 1.6 Turn off file indexing option
- 1.7 Appearance and virtual memory
- 1.8 Resources that consume animations
- 1.9 Configure system virtual memory
- 2 Updates and Security
- 3 End Line
The time it takes to start our equipment can also be improved. To get a faster start we are going to see a series of interesting options.
Delete programs at system startup
One of the first things that we surely want to do is improve the startup times of our system. Especially if we have it installed on a mechanical hard drive, it may take a long time for your computer to start up. So let’s try to improve this aspect, first of all.
When Windows starts, many of the programs that we have installed contain routines that start automatically during system startup. This causes that in addition to having to allocate resources to the system, we must also assign them to these programs. Therefore, we will try to remove all the non-essential ones.
- Quickly, what we must do is press the key combination: “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” to access the Windows task manager.
- Then we must go to the “Start” tab, and there we will have a list of programs of which, if in the status column it is “Enabled” it is because it starts during startup.
- To eliminate it we only have to right click on one of them and choose the option to disable. In this way, this program will no longer start when the system starts.
Also, you should know some more details about removing Windows startup programs. We already have a complete “step by step” on this matter. So it would be good for you to take a look at it.
Activate Windows 10 Quick Start
Another thing we can do to improve Windows 10 performance is to activate, or in your case deactivate, Windows 10 quick start mode.
Why do we say activate or deactivate? Well, the fact is that sometimes having this option activated is counterproductive. In most cases you will actively notice improvements to this option, but there may be cases where it is the opposite. In this case we invite you to try it, if it goes well, then you leave it. If not, then you reverse it.
This utility does its job when we boot Windows from the shutdown state, that is, not on a restart. Let’s see how to activate or deactivate it.
- The first things we will do are press the key combination “Win + X” or right click on the start menu.
- We select “energy options”
- We go to the option “Start / stop and suspend” and click on the right side, on the link that says: “Additional power settings”
- In the new window, we locate the option “Choose the behavior of the start / stop buttons” (top left)
- Now in the new window we access “Change the currently unavailable configuration”
- The window will undergo slight changes and some more options will appear
- Now check the “Enable quick start” option in case it was not already.
- To finish click on “Save changes”
When should we disable this option?
As we have said, this solution may not work. We must deactivate it if we notice the following:
- The computer takes too long to start
- The computer restarts upon reaching the lock screen
- Directly crashes during startup or shutdown
Optimize storage and hard drives
Another of the things that we will have to review to improve Windows 10 performance are hard drives. Especially if we have a slow hard drive, it will be especially important to consider these options.
Free disk space
We get fully into the actions we can take to improve performance. The first one is to try to keep the hard drive as clean as possible. What we will have to do is open the properties of the hard disk using the right button and choose the Free up space option.
Turn off file indexing option
Another option related to the management of hard drives is to disable the indexing of the files contained in them.
This option is used to access the content of the files when we perform searches on it. With this option activated, the search will be more complete, but you should also allocate more resources, especially the hard disk.
To deactivate this option we go to the properties of the hard disk by right-clicking on it.
If the box referring to this option is activated, click on it to deactivate it. Then click OK.
A window will appear asking us if we want to apply the changes only to the C: \ drive or to all the files contained in it. The most recommended is this last option. When we accept, the changes will begin to apply and depending on the number of files it may take more or less.
Appearance and virtual memory
Graphics options greatly influence system performance. To move the graphics, you need RAM, hard disk and above all graphics card resources. If we have tight hardware, it will be best to take these options into account.
Resources that consume animations
If we have a low-performance computer, especially in the graphics section, it is possible that the use of animations is an important bottleneck. We will notice how the window transitions are slow or blocked, or the access to them is slower.
Although it seems silly this is one of the tricks that gives better results to improve overall performance.
To eliminate these animations and thereby improve Windows 10 performance, we will do the following:
- We access the Windows Control panel located in “Start -> Windows System” or directly by typing “Control Panel”
- To facilitate the work we go to the top right and choose View by: Large icons.
- Next, we access the “System” option
- We access the option “Advanced system configuration”
- In the new window we are located in the “Advanced options” tab and in the performance section click on “settings …”
In this new window we will have all the graphic effects available in Windows 10. The most recommended in this case is to choose the “Personalize” option and only leave the “Smooth edges for screen fonts” option activated.
This option allows us to correctly read the texts displayed on the screen, so if we also deactivate it we will have difficulties doing this. The rest we can disable everything.
Configure system virtual memory
The virtual memory of the system is useful if our computer has little RAM, for example 2 GB. What this memory does is allocate part of the storage of the hard disk so that the system can use it to put in and take out items with which it is working dynamically. For example, when we access folders, applications, menus, etc.
To enter the virtual memory options of the system we will have to follow exactly the same steps as to change the animation settings in Windows in the previous section. That is to say:
- Control panel -> System -> Advanced settings -> Advanced options -> settings
- Now click on the “Advanced Options” tab
- And in the Virtual Memory section, click on “Change …”
- Here the first thing we will do is disable the option “Automatically manage size”
- And then we will activate the option “Custom size”
Here we must take into account a series of rules. As a general rule, virtual memory should be allocated between 1.5 and 2 times the RAM we have. For example, if we have 2 GB, the ideal would be to assign double: 2 × 2 = 4 GB. We will not have to follow it to the letter either, obviously if we have 4 GB we are not going to put 8 GB of virtual memory, but it would be good to at least put the same thing, that is to say 4 GB.
From 8 GB of RAM these rules are meaningless, since we have enough RAM, so leaving 4GB of virtual memory is enough.
As for the maximum size, the ideal is to allocate twice that of virtual memory, that is, if we allocate 4 GB because here we place 8GB.
Updates and Security
Update Windows 10
Another thing we must make sure we do to get the most out of our team is to have the operating system updated. Windows updates usually work automatically. Windows will search for the latest available, download and install them.
We always have the possibility to do it manually by accessing Windows Update. For this we will only have to go to the start menu and write “check for updates”. We choose the main option and we will access the Windows updates panel.
Browse files with Windows defender
To finish, another thing we can do is do a scan for threats gradually to have our team protected from bugs. To access Windows defender we go to the toolbar on its right side.
Here we open all the processes and one of them will be Windows defender. By double clicking we open it and click on the option “Virus and threat protection”.
Then we click “Browse Now.”
If we do not have Windows to defend, then we use the antivirus that we have.
Close running programs
The last action you can do to improve Windows 10 performance is to close the processes that we have open and are consuming CPU and RAM.
To do this we reopen the Task Manager and we are located in the “Processes” tab
We will always look at the CPU and Memory sections and, where appropriate, on the network. If we see programs that are taking up too much of these resources and we know what they are, we will select them with the right button and we will click “End task”.
In case you don’t know them, the best thing is to go to the internet and find out what they are and what they do in our team. in this way we will avoid eliminating critical processes.
This ends our article on how to improve Windows 10 performance. We hope you found it useful. If you know any other trick, leave it to us in the comments and we will complete this article so that it can help more people.